Rome Guide

Local Registrations FAQ

Rome's History
Areas of Rome
Airlines in Rome
Associations & Organizations in Rome
Italian Associations & Organization Worldwide
Bookstores and Libraries in Rome
Car - Scooter - Bikes & Camper Rentals in Rome
Chambres of Commerce in Rome
Children's activites in Rome
Cost of Living in Rome
Cultural Academies In Rome
Culture and Traditions
Embassies in Rome
Emergency and Useful Numbers in Rome
Employment Agencies in Rome
Entertainment In Rome
Excursions near Rome
Food and Wine in Italy
Garden Centers in Rome
Insurance Brokers in Rome
Phone Centera - Internet Pointa & Self-Service Laundries in Rome
Markets in Rome
Medical Services in Rome
Moving Companies in Rome
Museums and Galleries in Rome
Music Teachers and Instrument Makers in Rome
Foreign Press & Reporters in Italy - News Online
Oriental Stores in Rome
Parking garages in Rome
Parks in Rome
Pharmacies in Rome
Province of Rome
Restaurants & Brunch Bars in Rome
Satellite Systems Installations in Rome
Schools & Courses in Rome
Shopping in Rome
Sport and Leisure around Rome
Support Groups in Rome in Rome
Tour Operators & Tourist Info in Rome
Translators in Rome
Transportation - Airports - Road Maps in Rome
Travel information in Italy
Pet Needs & Veterinarians in Rome

Q: May I drive in Italy with my E.U. driving license ?
A: Due to bilateral agreement you can drive with most EU issued driving licenses.


Q: May I drive in Italy with my NON-EU driving license ?
A: You can drive for one year with an International driving license. If your driving license is issued from a Country having a bilateral agreement with Italy, it will be legally recognized. Otherwise you have to exchange it into an Italian one.  Driving licenses issued by all other countries are not recognized, and the driver must take a quiz and a driving exam to obtain an Italian driving licence.

Q: How long may I drive with an International driving license ?
A: After you registered in Italy you can drive for one year with an International driving license. After that you have to obtain via a multiple choice quiz examination (In Italian language) an Italian driving license.

Q: What is the "Codice Fiscale " ?
A: The "Codice Fiscale"
 is the registration number to the Italian Tax Agency. In UK is the "National Insurance Number" and in US is the "Social Security Number". Anyone living in Italy should apply for it.

Q: Why do I need the"Codice Fiscale " ?
A: The "Codice Fiscale" is necessary in order: to register the  house lease contract,  to purchase or lease a car and to apply for only-resident  parking permit in the your neighbourhood, to purchase a property, to hook up utilities and a home land line phone, to establish a bank account, etc.

Q: Do I have to be resident in Italy to get the "Codice Fiscale " ?
A: No ! You don't have to be an Italian citizen, or resident in Italy to obtain it. The relevant Office will just ask for an address to send the card to (though they will give you a document immediately, indicating what your number is). Even if you are here on a tourist "Permit of Stay" for a few months you can have one.

Q: What's a Partita IVA?

A: It’s a registration number to the Tax Office you need as  a free lance professional to allow you to  issue a legal invoice. There are various advantages to having one like being able to write off  the IVA from your tax declaration in the end of the year  for those expenses that could be considered business expenses. Mercurius Relocation can assist you in getting one.

Q: May I and how do I open a bank account ?

A: In Italy Opening a cheque (assegno) account (conto corrente) bank account is not very complicated:  you just need to be officially registered as “Resident” and for non-residents you will need the fiscal code. (Non-residents can open a non-resident account but only few branches allow this kind of account and it is up to the branch Director to allow it or deny it.). It is not possible to open an account before your arrival as you will be required to go in person to the bank with a proof of identity and proof of address (passport, driving licence, or a bill from a home utility company with your address on it) but no appointment needed. You should request a debit card (Bancomat) for use at the ATM’s. Bancomat is a national card and can be used in automatic tellers throughout the country. Many supermarkets and shops have checkout counters where you can pay with your card (POS). You can be charged 1€ when you withdraw money from other places other than your own bank. Credit cards can be used in most stores and hotels and in many restaurants. A few stores off the main tourist routes do not accept them at all and others require a minimum purchase. Though it is a violation of the merchant agreement some stores may refuse also your credit cards for payments of discounted merchandise. With your bank account you will receive also a check booklet (libretto di assegni di conto corrente) which you must pick up from the bank desk. but beware: a bounced check (assegno a vuoto) may result in losing your checking account and prosecution, and will definitely result in high fees. Never post-date a check: it’s illegal, and the check is good on the day it’s written regardless of what date you fill in. Joint accounts, as well as those for children, pensioners, and students are available. Banking fees are among the highest in Europe. You can have your recurring bills automatically debited and bank online . Banks pay very low interest rates: no more than 3%. If you have a residence card, you can open a bank account at the post office, which is open longer and charges fewer (and lower) fees. Withdrawal slips do not exist in Italy. To get cash, you either have to write a personal cheque made out to "me" ("stesso"/"stessa") or use a Bancomat card. Personal cheques can usually only be cashed in the branch of your bank where you have your account (and occasionally in other branches of the same bank).  Official banking hours can vary slightly, but in general are from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., and an hour and a half in the afternoon between 2:30 and 4:40. Banks are generally closed on weekends and holidays and sometimes close early on days prior to holidays.